Thursday, September 15, 2016

leaving by example

Hi,

Last week, I wrote a post about when to start hiring. Though every organization is unique, most do share the basic reality that a noticeable drop in quality, a consistent failure to continue or start work on profitable projects, or the need to directly replace a critical departing member are three ironclad reasons to initiate a hiring process. If you recognize one of these three conditions, there is very little excuse not to immediately begin looking for the next hire.

Since I wrote that post, I've spent some time thinking about my two blogs. One thought experiment led me to consider the blogs in the context of those questions. After some reflection, I concluded that the honest response would be- it is time to hire (1).


After all, each of the three reasons apply. I concluded yesterday while proofreading a True On Average draft that the quality of the writing was not up to my (admittedly low) standard. I am currently sitting on almost one hundred ideas for potential blog posts yet have no posts ready for Monday. And I've just reduced my True On Average posting schedule by eliminating one post every two weeks.

So, to review...

Q #1. Quality down?

A: I suspect so.

Q #2. Failure to start or complete profitable projects?

A: I did not actually count to one hundred...but yes.

Q #3. Need to replace a departing employee?

A: Uh, yes- but you will need to think of each 'scheduled post' as an employee.

Unfortunately, these blogs generate annual revenue of approximately zero ($0) dollars. So, like any other underfunded program, I will be downsizing rather than hiring (2).

I'll post two more times in September- on 9/22 and 9/29.

After that, The Business Bro will go on a brief sabbatical. I am not sure exactly how long it will be but I do know that it will be for a minimum of at least one month. I'll announce my return on True On Average once I accumulate a set of at least six completed posts. I'll put one up per week, each Thursday, until I run out. And then, I'll mark my intent to repeat the process by going on sabbatical again.

I think this represents a required balance. Writing well became more important on these spaces much earlier than I anticipated this summer. I want to make sure I do not cause a quality drop through overwork. Such a drop in quality is dangerous because if it persists for too long without correction, the low level of quality will become accepted as 'good enough'.


So, I do hope to see you back here for the last two posts of this blog's first season, so to speak. Your time spent reading here is very much appreciated.

Until next week,

The Business Bro

Footnotes / imagined complaints

1. True On Average and The Business Bro- now hiring! What a laughable notion!

No comment.

2. The best time to promote somebody is...

If I were forced to pick one answer to the above, I would say- when you can comfortably fire them. Like I pointed out last week, promoting from within tends to cause two uncertainties- one in the role being filled, which is inevitable, and one in the eventual replacement for the role you promoted out of.

A person you can fire is a good candidate to move up. This is because you are likely prepared or accepting that this employee is no longer appropriate for their current role. Since the uncertainty of filling this person's current role is already likely, promoting them somewhere internally might reduce some of the uncertainty for that position.

For completeness, I'll note that 'a person you can fire' and 'a person you should fire' are likely occupying opposite poles on your best employees list.

Endnote- following your own advice, eh?

Good leaders should lead by example, whenever possible, and not ask others to do what they would not do themselves. The advice dispensed last week applies across the board. In a case like this when it applies to me, I must follow it.

I think many leaders struggle with doing things that are imitable. This especially applies to those in my target audience here- managers by necessity, promoted into roles on the basis of outstanding performance in a non-managerial function at a lower level of the hierarchy. After all, you became a manager because you excelled relatively to others- if what you did was so easy to copy, it probably was not outstanding enough to earn the promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment