Tuesday, August 2, 2016

a warm welcome from the business bro


Hi all,

Welcome to The Business Bro. This very simple space is going to highlight what I have learned (or not learned) over the years about leadership (1). Each post will cover one idea and, if possible, I'll try to highlight it with a clever, insightful, or symbolic example.

I'm sure there are questions. I've tried to anticipate a couple below in a 'Q & A' format. But do get in touch if you have more.

Q: What is a business bro?

A: A business bro is someone who talks knowledgeably about a topic in which they possess little to no knowledge. Anyone can be a business bro at any time and the topic does not need to be about business (or even about your brother). It could be anyone talking anywhere about anything. But this space will focus initially on business applications.

Q: Why should we read this?

A: I suspect I know what I'm talking about, at least most of the time. On the other hand, I was laid off from my last job as a manger so I obviously have very little idea about what I am talking about (I think this fact makes me The Business Bro, at least for now). Maybe the best approach is to read a couple of posts and decide for yourself.

Q: So is this going to be a cata-blog of your failures?

A: Possibly. One of my preferred learning techniques is to study other people's failures. That way, I can learn from them without failing on my own. I think it is only fair that I detail my own failures so others can do the same. Maybe this blog should be renamed 'Failure Potluck'.

Also, there will be puns. I should warn everyone about that now.

Q: What is the schedule for this nonsense?

A: Not entirely sure yet. Nothing would submarine the concept of this blog faster than posting when I have nothing to say.

At this time, expect one post a week of just about five hundred words or so. I'll post on Thursdays unless I have more to say than usual- in those cases, I'll let you all know that an extra post is coming and on what day.

Q: When is the next post?

A: Next Thursday (8/11) between 11am and noon. After that, I'll do a post each Thursday at the same time until I run out of ideas.

Q: Why then?

A: I think the posts are going to cover ideas aimed at long-term success. Thursday is a good time to think about long term things. And if you think hard enough, you might come up with something to work on during a light Friday.

As for the hour, well, people get bored at lunch. Maybe they'll spend a minute or two here before getting a pizza slice. I'm more committed to posting in this hour than I am to posting on Thursdays.

Any other questions?

Q: I thought I was asking the questions?

A: A good business bro always asks questions. It is a good way to cover up a lack of actual knowledge.

Q: I see.
A: ...

Q: Are you done yet? I want to hit 'refresh' on my inbox.

A: That's enough for the first day, I think.

Thanks for reading, everyone. See you next Thursday.

Signed,

The Business Bro

------------------------

Footnotes...

1. Why today?
Today marks a six year anniversary of sorts since my first day of full time work (August 2, 2010). So that is why we are starting today- though if I did cook up this idea sometime in March, I likely would not have waited until today to start. So maybe today has no real significance.

No comments:

Post a Comment